Nature has inspired Deirdre to paint her subjects closely, revealing intricate detail and perfect forms that the eye sometimes misses. Environmental threats to Australia's flora has inspired Deirdre to paint species of environmental importance and vulnerability. Her recent PhD focussed on the mangrove species of Australia, most of which grow in and around the Daintree River in Far North Queensland. The watercolour paintings have been exhibited in London, Maitland Regional Art Gallery, the Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney, and most recently Tweed Regional Gallery.
Deirdre Bean is one of twelve artists included in a 2017 art expedition to the Western Front in Belgium and France, to explore the Australian history and memories of the Great War, now steeped into the soils of the landscape. This expedition has resulted in a touring group exhibition since 2018 called Salient: Contemporary Artists at the Western Front.
View Select Exhibitions
- Springwater Riste Andrievski and Deirdre Bean
- Shades of Summer Deirdre Bean, Janet Dawson Merran Esson, Rachel Fairfax, Jane Gerrish, Rod Holdaway
- Another Natural Perspective Deirdre Bean
- Fish and other things Deirdre Bean
- Deirdre Bean, Tanya Chaitow, Rod Holdaway, Di Holdsworth Group Show
- Deirdre Bean, Rod Holdaway, Steve Lopes & Ian Marr Europe is always a good idea